donderdag 3 februari 2011

Wordless vs text/illustration combination

An advantage of creating a wordless book is freedom. You don’t need to make sure it suits and supports the text. I can work with layers that give certain meanings to the setting and the characters identity.
I like the idea of people putting their own story together, over and over again.

A disadvantage is miscommunication. If the author has a clear vision in mind the illustration has to be more clearer than when its accompanied with text. E.g. If I draw a character with a smile on her face, a child would say she is happy. If the whole character is dressed in black an adult can interpret her face as a mask. She looks happy, but the colours could implicate she is not. But she can be happy and like to wear black clothes. The illustration will get a whole other meaning when it is accompanied by the text ‘I feel happy today because I am wearing my favourite black dress’. I hope the few words I am using will provide the clearance people need to understand the artwork and the story.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten